Wesley Methodist Church Alor Setar

Wesley Methodist Church Alor Setar

Written by Siew Lan   

Topic : Giving - Your treasure, your heart
Speaker:Rev Donal Annamalai
Scriptures: Matthew 6:19-34
Date: 30 JANUARY 2011

In Matthew chapter 4 - 6 Jesus taught us how to live a chirstian life.
WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GIVE? see Matthew 6:19
How do we lay out treasure in heaven?
We all need to learn to give. When you give - do not think of your money...How does God look at you? How has God blessed you? Think in terms of eternity. When you give to God, there will be treasures in heaven.
Matthew 6:22 is actually an idiom in the Jewish language...'eye is good' means 'you are generous'- when you are generous, your body is full of 'light'. 'light' equals to 'life' (see Genesis 1 ). 'eye is evil ' means to be stingy which is related to covetousness.
In giving we must have one master only. We cannot serve God and Mammon. Mammon is a god of covetousness.
We are Christians 24 hours. There is nothing of ours that is 'secular'. All is holy and sacred.
We tithe 10%? Sometimes we invest the other 90% in the wrong things.
Matthew 7:6 ...'pigs' refers to those who are lawless; 'dogs refers to those in darkness, baals, idols
2 Corinthians 6:14 exhorts us not to be 'unequally yoked'.
Don't have any association/union with these kind of people for they will destroy you.
So we tithe 10%...
But we are living under grace and God is asking us to give generously.
In 2011 - give 11%?
Throw away your calculator.
Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 and Proverbs 19 .

Comments (0)
Only registered users can write comments!

!joomlacomment 4.0 Copyright (C) 2009 Compojoom.com . All rights reserved."

Joomla 1.5 Templates by Joomlashack